Welcome to PORCH Hillsborough!
PORCH Hillsborough is an all-volunteer hunger-relief organization founded in 2011 to fight hunger in northern Orange County. Beginning with food drives in just 3 neighborhoods, our first Food for Pantries donation to the Orange Congregations in Mission (OCIM) food pantry weighed 240 pounds. Since then we have grown to 30 neighborhoods and added the Meadowlands Business Community. PORCH Hillsborough now donates almost 4000 pounds monthly! In 2016, PORCH Hillsborough started the Food for Schools program, providing nutritious snacks to each of the 13 Orange County Public Schools for children in need. In 2018, we launched the Food for Families program to deliver fresh produce to needy families.
How PORCH Works – monthly food drives
PORCH is built around the very simple idea of a neighborhood food drive. Here’s how it works, in three easy steps:
- Once a month on a designated pick-up day, you place non-perishable food donations (one or more cans of soup, tuna, canned vegetables,etc.) on your front porch.
- A volunteer neighborhood coordinator will pick up your donation.
- The donated food is delivered to Hillsborough’s Orange Congregations in Mission food pantry (OCIM) that same day.
From there, your donations go quickly into the hands of local families struggling to get enough food to eat.
The three-step process is easy and also fast. The donations go from porch to the food pantry quickly. In several hours the food fills the shelves and is ready to go to the families in need.
This is a list of all the participating neighborhoods! If you don’t see your neighborhood listed, we would love to add you to the list! Email us firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Arbor Hill: Persis Dyson
- Beckett's Ridge: Heather Bower
- Braddock Park: Jen Dixon
- Burkes Meadow: Jodi Granata,
- Cameron Estates: Sarah Van Horn
- Cameron Park: Nancy Rosebaugh, Marty Nelson
- Cascade Forest & Sugar Ridge: David Cackowski
- Churton Grove: Sarah Zink
- Corbinton: Cara Chinery
- Davis Road: Jean Bridges
- Elfins Pond: Libby Habeck
- Fairmont Farms: Sean Smith
- Forest Ridge: Kathy Jasencio
- Friends Community: Heidi Pirtle Moore
- Heartwood: Janet Lamb, Susan Axelrod
- Hillsborough Forest: Pat Butler, Carley Carr
- Historic Hillsborough - West: Pam Groben, Rachel Royce, Elizabeth Dicker
- Kenion Grove: Dhiresha Marshall
- Meadowlands Business Community: Alice Horton, Chad Davis
- Mill Creek - The Highlands: Margaret Della Pia
- Millstone PORCH: Jen Dixon
- New Hope Springs: Deb Sievert
- Oakrise: Jenny Gephart,
- Pleasant Green Woods: Anna Waters
- Poplar Ridge: Carol Nebel
- Riders Trail: Annie Caulkins,
- Riverbend Farms: Nancy Grebenkemper
- Strayhorn Hills: Bill Ellingsworth,
- Waterstone Estates: Joan Taroni,
- West Hillsborough: Kim Hansen, Tina Hopkins
- Wyndsong: Karen Gilliam L
With your monetary donation, PORCH Hillsborough purchases additional food for the OCIM food pantry every week so the shelves stay stocked. In addition, we will begin buying food in 2020 to supplement the fresh produce, eggs and cheese that we deliver to Orange County school families once a month through partnership with Weaver Street Market. We also provide food for other organizations that serve children at risk for hunger.
- All contributions are tax deductible.
Leave a check for your neighborhood coordinator, or refer to one of the following methods below to make a donation:
PORCH Hillsborough accepts online donations. Become a sustainer and give monthly!
Via US Mail
Please mail a check made out to PORCH Hillsborough to:
5461 Sunfish Lane
Durham, NC 27705
- Redeye Worldwide
- Weaver Street Market
Click here to read more about Weaver Street Market’s Community Food Partnerships, and how they help organizations like PORCH raise awareness of local hunger and provide food to those in need.
- Food insecure Orange County public school children and families
- Orange Congregations in Mission